Sunday, November 8, 2009

{SSCC #12} Operation Write Home

I am so pleased to be able to host this week's challenge at Stampin' Sisters in Christ Challenges. I've only been on the design team for a short time now, but I already feel so blessed. These ladies are so strong in their faith and they are extremely talented. The SSCC blog is a really encouraging place to be. With everything negative in the world, I need all the encouragement I can get.

The challenge this week is very, very special. You see, we're not just making cards this week. We are making cards for heroes.

Scripture
John 15:13 "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."

I chose this verse and planned out this challenge several weeks ago. I had no way of knowing what would happen at Fort Hood last week. It hurts my heart to think of this awful tragedy. Given these recent events, I can't think of a more appropriate verse for the challenge this week. Isn't it amazing the way God works? It truly is a great love, that a man would lay down his life for his friends. The verse says "friends," but think about our soldiers who lay down their lives every day for US...people they don't even know. I am so grateful for the freedom I have because of their sacrifices. I sincerely thank all of you for your service.

I wrote this on the SSCC blog: There is a quote that says, “Only two people have ever died for you. One is Jesus Christ. The other is the American soldier.” That is so true. Jesus Christ died for us so that we might have eternal life. The American soldier died for us so that we might have freedom in this earthly life.

This challenge means so much to me, and I feel like there is so much I want to say and I just can't get it all out right, so I will just move on to the challenge.

Challenge
The challenge for this week is to make a patriotic-themed card for a soldier and as a bonus, donate it to Operation Write Home, so that a soldier may be encouraged by your words of thanks. Write a special message of gratitude on the inside and sign your name. They will be distributed to soldiers who rarely get mail, or just need encouragement. Be sure to put your card in an envelope and write “Any Hero” on the front. For more information on how to make a card for “Any Hero,” click here.

Please note that it is not required to donate your card in order to participate in the challenge. However, I do encourage it! :)

Here is what I came up with.


The Extra Challenge
OWH also collects blank greeting cards (any theme) that soldiers may send home to loved ones. For example: birthday, thinking of you, hello, etc. Various holiday cards are also needed. According to the OWH website, “miss you” and “love you” cards are most requested by the soldiers. To read more about card themes needed, click here.

I’m sure we all have a lot of extra handmade cards in our stash. Won’t it be so special for a dad or mom serving overseas to send their child a handmade birthday card? What about a husband sending a wife an anniversary card? You can help them do that! Please consider sending a blank greeting card along with your card for “Any Hero.” You do NOT need to send an envelope, as long as your card is 4.25 x 5.5 inches (A2).

There are a few guidelines to go by when sending cards:
-Cards should be sized 4.25 x 5.5 inches (A2). The opening direction does not matter.
-If you use a dark cardstock on the background of a blank card for a soldier, please put a white/cream liner on the inside. The soldiers may only have a pen or pencil…not white gel pens.
-Do not use any glitter that might flake off the paper.
-Handmade cards only, please.
-Donations for shipping costs are needed. You can donate by using the PayPal button on the OWH website.

If you wish to donate your card to OWH, please email me at candylou48 [at] gmail [dot] com for my address.

I will compile a box of cards from all of the SSCC participants and will ship it to one of the volunteer shippers listed on the website. I will ship the box on Nov. 28, so that gives you plenty of time. I would love to send as many cards as possible on behalf of my Stampin’ Sisters in Christ!

I hope you'll join us at SSCC this week. We'd love to see your creations. We are sponsored this week by Paper Pretties and there is an adorable stamp set for one random winner. Hop on over and see the awesome cards the design team made this week!

I thank you in advance for your support of this wonderful cause.

Blessings,

7 comments:

  1. I love the stitching on your cards...I haven't been brave enough to try it yet.

    Thanks for the great challenge this week, too. I don't think we can do enough to encourage our men and women who sacrifice so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME Patriotic cards Candace, and you did a wonderful job with this challenge and all the research you did for it!! THANK YOU!! I will send you my 2 cards Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one beautiful card. I can see your heart for the wonderful cause that you decided upon for this week and it is fabulous timing. I pray we get a lot of participation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candace, Awesome cards that you made.Thank you for your tender heart toward our men and women serving our country .Im so happy that you chose this challenge. blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cards Candace! Isn't it amazing how God gave you this challenge this week in the event of Fort Hood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Candace Your card is just so perfect. I was so happy to participate in the challenge you proposed on SSCC this week. I hope to make a few more and get them in the mail to you. It is so important to remember these folks (all the time -but especially as we approach the holidays).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for doing this project/challenge this week! It's an awesome idea and great way to do a little to give back to the ones who sacrifice so much for us!
    Your card this week is beautiful, too! I love that dp, too.
    Blessings!
    ~H

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave some love! Have a GREAT day! :)