Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sweet Valentine's Treat

Hi there! I have something extra yummy to share with you today. I wanted to make something special for my Secret Valentine at school. We've been swapping gifts with a secret pal leading up until Valentine's Day when we will reveal who our secret pal is! Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure my pal knows that it's me. I'm not very good at keeping secrets.

Here is what I made her for this week.

I have always wanted to try altering one of these clear paint buckets. I picked one up at Michael's the last time I was there. I knew that I wanted to fill this with something sweet for my pal.

I kept my design for the bucket very simple. I used a strip of Valentine's paper from my stash and edged it with my Fiskars Apron Lace border punch. Have y'all ever noticed that I use that on practically everything I make? Love it! I cut out a pink and a red heart with my Cricut and embossed them with my Cuttlebug and the swirls folder. I added a simple tag that I stamped to say "With Love from My Kitchen." That sentiment was from the Tag Treats set from Taylored Expressions.

Now, I know you're wondering what the treats were that I filled my bucket with! I made some peanut butter balls and dipped them in milk chocolate. Then, I used Wilton candy melts in red and white to drizzle them. We usually make these at Christmas and we never do the drizzling, but I wanted them to be festive for Valentine's Day. I found the candy melts on the Valentine's aisle at my Walmart, but they also have them at Hobby Lobby and Michael's.

If you do this, here's a tip for melting the red and white chocolate. I took the Wilton cake decorating classes at Hobby Lobby awhile back, so I had some cake decorating bags on hand. I put my desired amount of chocolate wafers (it doesn't take a lot) in each bag (without a decorating tip) and secured the bag with an icing bag tie. Then, I put the bags in the microwave and melted according to the package directions. After they were melted, I snipped off the edge and did my drizzling. That was the best part...fun! Here's how they turned out!


Peanut Butter Balls
16 ounces creamy peanut butter
1 box powdered sugar
1 stick of melted butter
Mix all ingredients together. Roll into balls and dip into melted chocolate. Place on wax paper to harden.
The chocolate that works best for these is the chocolate almond bark. It melts great and hardens quickly - no need to refrigerate. However, my peanut butter balls were a little soft prior to dipping, so I refrigerated them for a few minutes befor I dipped them in the chocolate. Also, it helps if you roll out all of the balls first, and then do the dipping. I use a toothpick to dip mine.
Enjoy! :)

Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! I love altered projects, too! I haven't done many, but I'm always buying stuff to make them! lol Your "secret pal" is going to love your special treat! Have a wonderful week!
    Blessings!
    ~H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Candace, these look AMAZING!! LOVE your drizzled red and white chocolate--oooh, you're killin me here! LOL. Hope youre special someone loves them! I'm sure HE will since it's from you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this pail. The peanut butter balls look wonderful as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those balls sound yummy. We are a household of peanut allergy people....talk about depressing. Oh, they look beautiful also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I'm going to have to make those peanut butter balls! They look so delicous, and they are pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I found your blog through scrapbook.com. The peanut butter balls look yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave some love! Have a GREAT day! :)