Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Teacher's Survival Kit

Hi there! Happy Wednesday! I am so happy that it is the middle of the week. I am so looking forward to next week. We get the whole week off for Mardi Gras! I don't do any celebrating for Mardi Gras (unless you count eating king cake), so I am just happy to have a lazy week off! :)

The other day I shared with you the peanut butter balls that I made for my secret pal. Today, I want to share with you an altered box that I made for her. I found the idea for a teacher's survival kit in the scrapbook.com gallery. I've had this 6x6 wooden box for awhile now just waiting for the perfect thing to use it for. I knew that it would make a great survival kit!

I started out by painting the edges of the box (that would be seen) with Acrylic Folk Art paint in Linen. Then, I measured and cut my papers. My pal loves bright colors and has lots of bright things in her classroom, so this paper from the Cosmo Cricket Boyfriend collection (which I got on sale at Michael's for $4, by the way!) was perfect. Also, the pencils are perfect for a teacher!

After I adhered the paper, I coated the box with Mod Podge and let it dry overnight. The next day I used some alpha stickers on a strip of paper from the same collection for her name. I glued on three buttons and used my Fiskars Apron Lace border punch to set it off. You can't tell from these photos, but the top of the box is a square of green that is the same shade as the punched strips.

Lastly, I typed up the card detailing the purpose of each item in the box as well as the teacher's prayer.

I absolutely cannot wait to give this to my pal! I hope she will love it. I had so much fun making it for her. You could do this for anybody. They have ingredients for BUNCHES of different survival kits listed here.








Teacher's Survival Kit Contents
Animal cookies for when your classroom seems like a zoo.
Band-Aids for when things get a little rough.
Chewing Gum to help you stick to it.
Crayons to color your day bright and cheerful.
Candle for when you are up late grading papers.
Eraser to remind you everyone makes mistakes.
Lifesavers for when you've had one of those days.
Marbles to replace the ones you've lost.
Mounds Bar for the mounds of confidence you give your students.
Paperclips to hold it all together.
Pencil to "write your wrongs."
Rubber band to remind you to be flexible.
Shiny Penny to remind you that each will shine in his or her own special way.
Starburst to give you a "burst" of energy when you need it.
Tissues to wipe away the tears...yours and theirs.
Toothpick to help you "pick" out the good qualities in others and yourself,
and a prayer for you to say at the start of each day.

Teacher's Prayer
God, please help me
to strengthen their voices,
bodies and minds,
to express their feelings
and control them sometimes,
to explore what's near
and venture afar,
but most important
to love who they are.

Thanks for stopping by today! :)
Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. OH WOW, that is SOME yummy box Candace! *Ü* LOVE IT! I remember making a few teacher survival kits a few years ago. THose are so fun to fill. Great job on this! I'm sure she'll LOVE IT! Lucky you getting a whole week OFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little survival kit is adorable! I'll bet teachers really appreciate something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute!!! I just love what you did with the box and all the thought that went into it!! Oh your pal is going to Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just adorable!! Love it!! What a great idea, I just wish I still had kids that were young enough to have teachers to make gifts for! TFS!

    Have fun on your time off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute idea Candace! Love it:) Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely LOVE this box!! I hope you don't mind but I am so stealing this idea!!

    I know I haven't commented in a while but know that I visit every post and gain so much inspiration from your projects. Blessings and HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful and thoughtful gift Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this! I think I'm going to do something similar for my friend who begins her first year teaching in just a couple of weeks! TFS!! You did a fabulous job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great!! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to giving this a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen ekblatz@sasktel.netSeptember 18, 2011 at 4:06 PM

    I found your site via Pintrest and I would love to see a picture of the survival kit, but the pictures aren't showing anymore (I just get a !)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave some love! Have a GREAT day! :)