Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Pink Scrapbook Challenge #8

Hi there! I pretty much always post cards to my blog. I started out two years ago as a scrapbooker. Then, that involved into card-making, and I hardly ever do layouts anymore. In fact, I really struggle with them! So, when I saw that The Pink Elephant was starting a scrapbooking team and was looking for designers, I applied. I didn't apply because I thought I was a great scrapbooker - I'm not. I applied because I wanted to get back to my roots and scrap some of my photos! I wanted to feel comfortable with scrapping again and not be so afraid of it. Surprisingly, I was chosen for the design team!!

So, here is my The Pink Scrapbook Challenge debut! Our challenge this week is to use the sketch to make a scrapbook page. I chose to use a photo from last Christmas. Here's the backstory on my layout - my grandmother is a very gifted seamstress. I always look forward to Christmas gifts from her because I know they are going to be handmade, and I truly treasure everything she gives me because I know it comes from her heart. This photo is of Mema and all of the girls. She made all of us aprons with matching potholders last Christmas. She is also a faithful reader of my blog, so Mema, I love you! :)

It was only fitting that I do lots of stitching on this layout, but I must tell you the funny thing that happened. I wanted to stitch all the way around the paper. As I was almost finished with the stitching, I realized that some air had gotten trapped under the paper and wouldn't come out. So, I tried cutting a slit in the paper underneath the photo and "smushing" the air out. That only resulted in wrinkled paper. Then I had to find a way to cover my wrinkles with the snowflakes. LOL! I added some Stickles to the snowflakes for some sparkle.


Hop over to The Pink Elephant blog to check out the sketch and the beautiful inspiration from the design team! Thanks for stopping by! :)

Supplies:
Paper: American Crafts cardstock, patterned paper by The Paper Studio (Hobby Lobby)
Accessories: Diamond Stickles, Thickers
Tools: Martha Stewart Loopy border punch, Martha Stewart snowflake punch, sewing machine

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. What a great layout Candace, love the stitching (even though it gave you problems :) ) Love the aprons your grandma made too! Im like you, I got swept away with card making a couple years ago & decided I really needed to get back to doing some layouts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great layout. love the colors & the thickers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks GREAT! Love that border punch and stitching!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a fun page. You would never know you struggled with the stitching. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a fun LO! the stitching rocks and i'm diggin' those vibrant colors!!!!!

    xo
    sarabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great layout. Love the colors and the snowflakes. There are no mistakes in Scrapbooking - just another opportunity for embellishment :) TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Candace love your LO and the stitching! What a gorgeous LO and I would love to get homemade gifts! glad you were chosen too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the fun bright paper you've used in your layout!! What a fun memory! My mom made aprons one year for all the girls, too! Handmade is always so cherished!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave some love! Have a GREAT day! :)