Sunday, May 2, 2010

SSCC 37 - Stitching

Hi there! Happy Sunday! It's time for another challenge at Stampin' Sisters in Christ Challenges. Our hostess this week is the sweet and very talented Chris Olsen. She chose the following scripture and challenge for us this week.

Scripture
"For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well." Psalm 139: 13-14


Challenge
Create a card or project with stitching. It can be faux or real stitching.

I LOVE stitching on my cards! It is so easy thanks to my Janome Sew Mini. That is my favorite paper-crafting tool. I watched Gina K's videos and that taught me to use it. If you are intimidated by sewing, don't be. If I can do this, you can! I've actually never sewed fabric with it...just paper. I do have an apron pattern and some really cute fabric, and this summer when I am out of school and have more time I am going to attempt to make myself an apron.

Now, my grandmother on the other hand, is a very gifted seamstress. She sews the most beautiful things, and she is always giving me things she makes for me. She also loves to send cards to people, so I made her this sewing-themed card set and box. Her birthday and Mother's Day area always close together, so this will be a combination gift for her.

All of the papers are Cosmo Cricket Material Girl, and all of the paper, cardstock, buttons, and ribbon are from the April Taylored Expressions Key Ingredients. That kit was definitely worth the cost because I got all of this from it, and I STILL have lots of stuff leftover.

The stamps that I used are a mixture. The thread spools and "hanging by a thread?" stamps are from the April Kit of the Month by Unity Stamp Company. The sewing Cuppie image and the other sentiments are from Crafty Cuppie and Crafty Expressions by Taylored Expressions, with the exception of "Thinking of You." It is from Stamping Bella.

I kept the design of the cards all the same, so that these cards could be easily mass-produced. I whipped this project up in about two days. I cut my patterned papers, adhered them to Choice Buttercream cardstock and stitched around the edges. I stamped the sentiment and added a bow with a coordinating button. I stamped my images in Memento Tuxedo Black on Choice Buttercream. I cut them out using Circle Nestabilities, sponged the edges with Memento Cantaloupe, and matted them on coordinating cardstock cut out with Scallop Circle Nestabilities. Super simple!

I carried my design over to the card box. This card box easily held all eight of my cards and envelopes. It probably would've held more if my cards weren't so bumpy. I purchased this Perfect Package Card Box from Taylored Expressions. You can get a package of two for $4.95. I think that's a great deal! These are really simple to alter, and there's a magnet that keeps the lid closed.










I am entering this project in these challenges:
The Creative Cottage Challenge - use circles
Stampin' Royalty - use punches (I used my Nesties).
AI Factory - buttons
Digi Doodle Shop - anything goes

Be sure to hop over to the SSCC blog to check out the inspiration from the design team: Chris Olsen, Grace Nywening, Kathy Winter, Kristine Breach, Linda Lucas, Lisa Hjulberg, Peggysue Turner, and Randi Barrett. Also, give a warm welcome to our May Guest Designer, Miesje Flach. SSCC will now be featuring a monthly guest designer. These designers will be picked from our faithful players. You might just be the next one!

We would love to have you play along with us this week! We are being sponsored by The Greeting Farm, and they are giving away a stamp single to one random winner! It could be you! :)

Thanks for stopping by today!

Project Supplies:
Paper: Cosmo Cricket Material Girl, Choice Buttercream cardstock, Bazzill cardstock
Stamps: Unity Stamp Company April 2010 Kit of the Month, Crafty Cuppie and Crafty Expressions by Taylored Expressions, "Thinking of You" by Stamping Bella
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Memento Cantaloupe
Accessories: ribbons (Taylored Expressions), buttons (Cosmo Cricket Material Girl collection), card box (Taylored Expressions), Copic markers
Tools: Classic Circle Nestabilities, Scallop Circle Nestabilities, sewing machine

Photobucket

22 comments:

  1. Wow Candace!! What an incredible project with all the beautiful cards and box!! Your layouts, coloring, images and details are beautiful!! Awesome take on the challenge this week! Love the stitching and cute images. Have a great week!
    hugs,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Candace this set is just fabulous!!! I love the images you have! So perfect for your Grandmother the sewer and card sender!!! She will be so thrilled! I love the box you created!!! Wow gf! You totally rocked this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute cards and box Candace! I'm sure your Grandmother will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awsome is this??? I love this Candace, a great idea. Your grandmother is going to LOVE it!! Have a super week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candace - you "sew" rocked this project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh its a whole set, how sweet, with the box and everything! You made a lovely gift, I'm sure she's going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally WOW WOW!! These are all great. Gosh I could not pick a favorite if I tried. You are one talented lady Candice. Thank you soooooo much for entering these in our challenge at Digi Doodle Shop's Best.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a beautiful project, she's sure to adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so awesome!! You are so very talented :)

    If you would be interested in giving a new challenge blog a try, I would love to see how it inspires you :) You can check it out at: Scrap It With a Song

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! This is a great project - very nice cards! thanks for playing at Stampin' Royalty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow these are gorgeous love the cards and stunning box. really beautiful work. Thanks for joining this weeks Creative Cottage Challenge. hugs Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there these are stunning I too can't pick a favourite. Thanks for sharing with us at Digi Doodle shop best Challenge hugs Pascale

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful cards.... I love how you have shown all different ways to use one set....Thanks for joining us a Digi Doodle Shop's Best this week.

    Harriet

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely selection, thanks for joining us at Digi Doodle Shops Best.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love all your sewing theme card...and love your work you did so adorable set...thanks for joining with us at DDSB challenge, hugs, Monika

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cute cards! I love the little images- and the sewing theme! Thanks for playing along with us at Stampin' Royalty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow you have been a busy girl !
    Fab project - makes a lovely gift.
    Thanks for joining us at the creative cottage challenge blog this week x
    ((hugs)) Suzie xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh!!! What a wonderful creation!!! Thanks so very much for joining us at Digi Doodle Shop's Best and good luck!
    KymKreates

    ReplyDelete
  19. All of these are adorable. Thanks for playing with us at Stampin' Royalty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What stunning creations! Thanks for joining us at the creative cottage this wk hugs Rebekah x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Those are some great cards! Thanks for playing with us at DDSB! :)

    -Jo
    http://joboogie.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome!!!!! You did a lot of work there! Thanks for joining us at AiFactory

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave some love! Have a GREAT day! :)