Friday, June 11, 2010

Christian Paper Crafts - Fun on Friday

Hi there! It's time for the Christian Paper Crafts Fun on Friday challenge. This one was a true challenge for me.

Challenge: Make an easel card. If you don't know how, you can click here for an easy-to-follow tutorial (complete with a video) by Beate at Split Coast Stampers.

I don't know about you, but I had never made an easel card prior to this one. In fact, just the thought of it scared me! I even put off making this card until the very last minute. However, here it is, and wouldn't you know, after 2 years of card-making, I think this is my favorite out of all the cards I've ever made. I'm just so proud of my sponged background. That was my first time to attempt sponging a sky, and I love how it turned out. In other words, I was all scared for nothing! :)



If you clicked on the tutorial link, you will notice that I CASEd Beate's card. The only thing I changed were the papers and how I did the background. When I saw how she used that big silhouette stamp from the Discover Your Wings set by Taylored Expressions, I knew that it would make a beautiful easel card. I hope she doesn't mind!

My first thought was just to stamp the image onto plain white cardstock. The more I thought about it, the more I realized how boring that would be. I hardly ever challenge myself creatively, and I decided to be brave last night. I remembered watching a Gina K. video once where she made a sky using her Memento ink pads. So, that's what I did. I took my Dew Drop pads in Lulu Lavender, Summer Sky, and Angel Pink and just rubbed them all across the paper. I kept rubbing them back and forth and blending them together until I got the look I wanted. Then, I took a sponge and went over the whole paper just to blend everything in really well. I would love to try this technique again except with sunrise colors like reds and oranges!

Next, I stamped the image on top of the sky background. I stamped the butterly, also from the Discover Your Wings set, and cut it out. I adhered it to the background and popped up its wings. I added some crystals and a ribbon to finish the front off.

I haven't stamped anything on the inside of my card yet because I think it would be appropriate for so many occasions - birthday, thinking of you, sympathy, etc. I'm waiting for the perfect occasion to come along to send off this one.

A couple tiny issues I ran into when making this card:
1) Make sure your card is the right length. I could not figure out why my card didn't look right until I finally realized it was 11 inches long instead of the recommended 8 1/2. LOL!!
2) For some reason, my ATG tape would NOT stick to the back of my sponged cardstock. I think it was due to the ink saturating the cardstock and almost making it wet. I had to use some Tombow glue, but that's okay!

When uploading to the CPC gallery, please use keyword FOF57, and when uploading to other galleries, please use keyword CPC-FOF57.

Have fun creating and have a great weekend! I can't wait to see your easel cards. Don't be scared! If I can do it, you can, too! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! :)


Supplies:
Paper: Making Memories, Prism, Choice Snow White
Stamps: Discover Your Wings by Taylored Expressions
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Memento Angel Pink, Memento Lulu Lavender, and Memento Summer Sky
Accessories: crystals (BasicGrey), ribbon (Offray)
Tools: Martha Stewart Arch Lattice border punch

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Love your sponged sky and the stamps you chose.
    I also haven't tried an easel card, yet. Need
    to be brave like you and try---yours turned out
    beautifully! Love your blog! Diane H.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave some love! Have a GREAT day! :)