Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Pink Elephant - Miss You


Hi there! Today is Thursday, and I can't believe how fast this week is flying by. Since it's Thursday, that means it's time for a Pink Elephant Scrapbook Challenge!

The challenge this week is to use the sketch provided on the TPE blog and also to stamp on your layout.

This photo is of our precious grandmother with all of her grandchildren - me, my brother, and our cousins. It was taken Easter 2007, and she passed away in April 2009.

The journaling reads: "I really dislike having my picture taken, but now that MawMaw is gone, I cherish the pictures we have with her, and I wish we had more."

I think that says it all. Photographs are so precious to you once a person is no longer with you. Those and your memories are all you have to rely on. That is why I scrapbook...to preserve not only those pictures, but the memories.

I loved the blocks along the bottom of the layout that this sketch included. You could use those blocks for photos, flowers, or with patterned paper like I did. I wanted those blocks of paper to have a quilted look, so I stitched around the edged and zig-zag stitched between each block. I did lots of stitching on this layout - even around the photo. All of the papers are from the Cosmo Cricket Early Bird collection. This is another one of my favorites...I know...I say every paper line is my favorite! LOL! But, I really do love this one! There were many different colors going on in the photo, and I didn't want that to conflict with the bright colors in the layout, so that is why I went with a black and white photo. By the way, I don't know WHY my brother is making that face! LOL! But, it is the only one we had from that day like this, so I had to use it regardless.

I used some cork in my layout. I've been seeing cork everywhere lately used in many different ways. The other day when I was at Hobby Lobby, I noticed some of it with the Quickutz supplies. It was only $4.99 for a pack of it, and the best part - it is self-adhesive!! I punched it with my Fiskars Apron Lace border punch. I was worried that it would be too thick for my punch, but it worked fine. After I punched it, I just peeled off the backing to reveal the sticky side...so simple! I stamped the journaling box from the February 2010 Kit of the Month by Unity Stamp Co. in Memento Rich Cocoa onto Choice Buttercream cardstock. I added a red bow tied with my Bow Easy. I also stamped the sentiment "We do not remember the days. We remember the moments" from the June 2009 Kit of the Month by Unity Stamp Co. I used some alpha stickers for the title. I added some flowers from my stash and tied them with hemp. Lastly, I added four brown brads to finish it off.

Be sure you pop over to The Pink Elephant blog to see the sketch and all of the inspiration from the design team!

Thanks for stopping by today!

Supplies:
Cardstock: American Crafts, Choice Buttercream
Paper: Cosmo Cricket Early Bird
Stamps: journal block (Nothing but Blue Skies - Feb. 2010 KOTM by Unity Stamp Company), sentiment (Perfect in Every way - June 2009 KOTM by Unity Stamp Company)
Ink: Memento Rich Cocoa
Accessories: flowers (Prima), hemp twine (Papertrey ink), brads (The Paper Studio), ribbon (offray), cork (Quickutz), alpha stickers (Sassafras Fawnd of You), white thread
Tools: Bow Easy, Fiskars Apron Lace border punch, sewing machine

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. This page is gorgeous Candace...a real photo to treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the stitching and the cork, which reminds me I should really dig mine out. What a fabulous photo to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CUTE, CUTE, CUTE!!! Love that DP! (=

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candace, this is a beautiful page. I love the blocks on the bottom as well. You could buy a 12x12 frame and hang it somewhere in your home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful layout and gorgeous family!!! What a precious way to remember your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Candace, this is beautiful!!! What a precious memory to have of your Grandmother!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave some love! Have a GREAT day! :)