Saturday, January 1, 2011

Two for the New Year

Hi y'all! I hope your New Year has gotten off to the right start. Mine sure did because I went to Hobby Lobby today! LOL! :) I got some crafty things and some things for the house, and I even got some clearanced Christmas ornaments to add to my collection. I read online that Hobby Lobby was now carrying Echo Park paper, so I was hoping to snag some of that with their 50 percent off paper sale, but no such luck. Apparently, my Hobby Lobby doesn't keep up with the latest paper trends. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for it, though!

One of my goals this year is to create more often and send more cards, and today I created two cards for two different challenges, and I plan on mailing both of them. What a way to start off the new year, right?!

I used the same image and same papers for both of these cards, but I did one in a very layered style and one in a clean and simple style. Umm...yeah, remember my last post when I said I absolutely could not do clean and simple? Well, I tried it, and I actually like the way it turned out!

First, I'll tell you about my not-so-simple card. I followed Jen's January Sketch for You to Try, which she just posted today. I thought it looked like such an easy and fun sketch to play with, and I knew this little nurse image that I've had in mind for a few days would go perfectly on that rectangle panel.  My Aunt Belinda has been a nurse for 32 years and is retiring as of this week, so I wanted to make her a card. The cute little nurse is one of the My Favorite Things Pure Innocence girls...isn't she sweet?! I colored her with Copic markers and cut her out with Classic Rectangle Nestabilities. I felt like the starkness of the white cardstock was too bright against the neutral tones in the other papers, so I did a bit of sponging to soften it up a bit. I layered the image panel on red cardstock and then again on the blue cardstock which I cut out with Scallop Rectangle Nestabilities. I stamped the sentiment from Mega Mixed Messages by Papertrey Ink in Memento Rich Cocoa, cut it out with Classic Oval Nestabilities, did some more sponging, and set it off with a few red Twinkles. These papers, which I love, are from the October Afternoon Thrift Shop collection.

I embossed the Kraft background with a new favorite...the Cuttlebug Polka Dots embossing folder! I have been wanting it for so long, and my brother got me a Hobby Lobby gift card for Christmas. So, today when I was shopping, I tossed it in the buggy to get with my gift card, but when I checked out, I FORGOT to use the gift card. Haha! I realized it when I was putting the stuff in the car. Oh well...there will definitely be another trip to use it! Lastly, I finished my card off with a cream-colored bow. Whew...that one was work, but I know my aunt will love it, and she's worth it because she's so full of love and kindness!

As I said before, I kept my second card very simple...perhaps because I was too tired from the first one? Ha! Anyway, I used Cardabilities Sketch #18 for this one. I used the same papers and colored that sweet little girl just the same as before. I used my Fiskars Apron Lace border punch for the trim and layered my image panel on some red cardstock that was cut out with Scallop Oval Nestabilities. I added a ribbon, some red pearls, and stamped "Feel Better," also from Mega Mixed Messages by Papertrey Ink. I *love* that set...best stamp set I ever bought because it has a sentiment for almost everything. This card is for a young lady who is battling illness right now while in the hospital. I hope it cheers her up, and I hope she feels better soon!


Happy Retirement:
Cardstock: Bazzill Kraft, Papertrey Ink Perfect Match (Pure Poppy and Aqua Mist)
Patterned Paper: October Afternoon Thrift Shop
Stamps: My Favorite Things, Papertrey Ink Mega Mixed Messages
Ink: Memento Rich Cocoa, Memento Cantaloupe, Copic markers
Embellishments: red Twinkles (Taylored Expressions), ribbon (Papertrey Ink)
Tools: Cuttlebug, Polka Dots embossing folder, Classic Rectangle Nestabilities, Scallop Rectangle Nestabilities, Classic Oval Nestabilities, Scallop Oval Nestabilities

Feel Better:
Cardstock: Bazzill Kraft, Papertrey Ink Perfect Match (Pure Poppy and Aqua Mist)
Patterned Paper: October Afternoon Thrift Shop
Stamps: My Favorite Things, Papertrey Ink Mega Mixed Messages
Ink: Memento Rich Cocoa, Memento Cantaloupe, Copic markers
Embellishments: red pearls (Kaisercraft), ribbon (Papertrey Ink)
Tools: Cuttlebug, Classic Oval Nestabilities, Scallop Oval Nestabilities, Fiskars Apron Lace border punch

8 comments:

  1. I love these cards! Bright colors with kraft always rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous cards Candace - I love that stamp, and your colouring!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH HOW SWEET are these!!!!??? Kelsey is going to love it! And I am sure your Aunt will love hers, too! Both are stunning! THANKS for helping Kelsey keep her spirits up! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. fabulous cards!!! i love how you colored the images!
    thanks for playing with cardabilities!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are adorable ! Wishing you happy new year too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both cards so so pretty with such nice clean lines - I really like the kraft backgrounds also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are both adorable!! Love your take on the SFYTT sketch! Thanks for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such adorable card, love the DP you used on the first one! :D

    ♥Tracey♥...ƸӜƷ

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave some love! Have a GREAT day! :)