Monday, August 8, 2011

Meljen's Designs - Back to School!

Hi everyone! It's Back to School for me today! I had a great day, but I'm exhausted and there are soooo many new names to learn - around 130 of them! I'm looking forward to a great year with my students, though! :)

I wanted to make some little "happies" for my fellow teachers, and I knew this Apple for Teacher digi by Meljen's Designs would be perfect for making gift tags.

I started by sizing my digi to fit in the upper portion of the oval and typing a sentiment underneath it before printing it out. I cut it out with Classic Oval Nestabilities and colored it with Copic markers. I added a strip of patterned paper and accented it with some gingham ribbon, twine, a button, and three red Twinkles.

I attached the tag base to the red cardstock, which was cut out with Scallop Oval Nestabilities. I put an eyelet at the top to reinforce the hole.

I  tied the tag to a bag filled with Lemon Crinkle cookies. These are such a delicious and easy cookie to make, so of course, I'm going to share the recipe with you!


Lemon Crinkles
1 box Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme cake mix
2 cups Cool Whip, thawed
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup powdered sugar

In a large bowl, combine cake mix, Cool Whip, and egg. Mix until well combined. Chill the dough several hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Form one-inch balls and roll them in the powdered sugar. Place the cookies on a greased cookie sheet several inches apart. Bake 10-12 minutes until the cookies are set but not browned. Cool on wire rack.

A couple tips that I've learned from baking these a lot:
-Mix the batter with a wooden spoon. It is WAY too thick to mix with a mixer.
-Yes, you must chill the batter. It makes it much easier to roll the cookies into balls. I stick mine in the fridge for about an hour, or if you're really impatient, try the freezer for a little bit.
-My medium-sized Pampered Chef cookie scoop is the perfect size for these cookies! I just scoop and drop right into the powdered sugar.
-10 minutes is the magic number for me in terms of baking. I like a soft cookie, though. They may look like they're not done, but after letting them sit for awhile, they'll firm up a bit. Everyone's oven is different, though.

These are soooo simple to make! Try them with pecans, or try different flavors of cake batter such as chocolate or strawberry. There are lots of possibilities!

That's it for me tonight. No one has to make me go to bed...I'm tired! Have a great evening!

Supplies:
Cardstock: Bazzill
Patterned Paper: October Afternoon Report Card
Stamps: Apple for Teacher by Meljen's Designs
Ink: Copic markers
Embellishments: Twinkles (Taylored Expressions), ribbon (Walmart), twine (Papertrey Ink), button, eyelet
Tools: Classic Oval Nestabilities, Scallop Oval Nestabilities

3 comments:

  1. I wish we were co-workers!! The cookies look so yummy (I'm definitely trying the recipe!!) & that little tag is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these and the image is perfect (speaking as a teacher myself). I start school next week. Glad your year is off to a good start and thanks for the recipe. I am going to try these. http://craftygirl21.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super CUTE tag!! What a great little gift for all those special teachers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave some love! Have a GREAT day! :)